St. Jude Women's Club
The St. Jude Women's Club (SJWC) is an enthusiastic volunteer organization for women directly associated with St. Jude Children's Research Hospital or ALSAC, the fund-raising arm of the hospital. The Women’s Club fulfils two key roles outlined below:
- The St. Jude Women's Club supports the children of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Often interacting directly with patients and their families, club members participate in volunteer and fund-raising activities, as well as special events and projects held throughout the year.
- The club also provides a social network for members to become better acquainted through various social, activities. Newcomers gain insight into the Memphis community and enjoy forming new friendships in the St. Jude/ALSAC family!
How does the St. Jude Women’s Club contribute?
- Each January the club hosts a birthday celebration for hospital founder, Danny Thomas. Club members serve cake in the cafeteria for all employees, patients, and families!
- Our annual Book Sale is a hit each year with over 10,000 books sold! Proceeds go directly to support the patients at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
- Each Spring, the club facilitates the annual St. Jude Golf-A-Round for our patients and their families. As part of the Fedex St. Jude Classic golf tournament, this is a fun day where professional golfers generously donate their time to give our budding golfers some pointers!
- In the Holiday Season, the club sponsors and decorates more than 25 themed trees that are displayed throughout the Patient Care Center, the Danny Thomas Research Center, the Danny Thomas/ALSAC Pavilion and the Translational Trial Unit. The Patient Care Center lobby is also festively adorned to ensure a welcoming glow at this special time of year!
- Thanks to the club, Santa’s elves visit the hospital lobby each year to take memorable pictures with more than 200 patients! Holiday favors are presented each child and on occasion, professionals kindly donate their talent singing carols throughout the event!
- Our famous Holiday Cookie Exchange puts all in a festive mood! Hosted in a member’s home, members sip hot chocolate, share holiday cheer while they sample, swap and savor holiday cookies! A delectable selection is then taken home to share with family and friends!
Who can join?
- Female St. Jude or ALSAC employees
- St. Jude or ALSAC employee spouses/partners
If you are eligible and would like more information about the St. Jude Women's Club, please contact Christy Mullikin.
In 2011, the St. Jude Women's Club
- Celebrated Danny Thomas Day with a cake outside the Kay Kafe for all employees, patients and families.
- Facilitated the annual St. Jude Kids Golf-A-Round in conjunction with the St. Jude Classic.
- Decorated the Patient Care Center lobby and trimmed more than 30 themed trees that were displayed throughout the St. Jude campus.
- Sponsored a holiday photo party with Santa’s elves. Keepsake photographs were taken, and holiday favors were distributed to more than 179 patients.
- Raised $5,300 at the club’s annual book sale.
- Unveiled 11 new flags in the Danny Thomas Research Center. The Women’s Club will maintain and monitor these flags, which represent employee homelands and honor St. Jude diversity.
- Donated six breast pumps to Clinical Nutrition, a baby bassinet for Nursing Surgical Services and a new book cart and books to Volunteer Services.
- Contributed a total of 2,045 volunteer hours.
- Hosted an Alice in Wonderland-themed trick-or-treat station during the hospital’s Halloween festivities.