MS – Ruprecht-Karls University of Heidelberg, Germany – Genetics and Biochemistry
PhD – Max-Planck-Institute for Biochemistry, Munich, Germany and Ruhr-University of Bochum, Germany – Neurobiochemistry
- Hands-on generation of more than 500 transgenic and gene-targeted mouse lines as Senior Staff Scientist at Moffitt Comprehensive Cancer Center in Tampa, Florida
- Managing staff, budget, and preparation of Transgenic Core Facility at Moffitt for NCI CCSG site visit for 11 years
- Production of standard and YAC transgenic mouse models during graduate work in Germany and postdoctoral fellowship at Novartis in Basel, Switzerland, resulting in a transgenic mouse model as basis for 16 publications (2)
- ES cell culture, transfection, selection, ES cell - embryo aggregation at Moffitt and the European Molecular Biology Laboratory EMBL in Heidelberg, Germany
- ROSA26 targeted transgenesis, ZFN-mediated gene knockout in rats, cryopreservation of embryos, rederivation of cryopreserved or compromised mouse lines, and in vitro fertilization
- Visualsonics Vevo2100 ultrasound and Caliper IVIS200 luminescence and fluorescence mouse imaging
Humar R, Kiefer FN, Berns H, Resink TJ, Battegay EJ. Hypoxia enhances vascular cell proliferation and angiogenesis in vitro via rapamycin (mTOR)-dependent signaling. FASEB J 16:771-780, 2002.
Berns H, Humar R, Hengerer B, Kiefer FN, Battegay EJ. RACK1 is Upregulated in angiogenesis and human carcinomas. FASEB J 14:2549-2558, 2000.
Heumann R, Goemans C, Bartsch D, Lingenhoehl K, Waldmeier PC, Hengerer B, Allegrini PR, Schellander K, Wagner EF, Arendt T, Kamdem RH, Obst-Pernberg K, Narz F, Wahle P, Berns H. Transgenic activation of Ras in neurons promotes hypertrophy and protects from lesion-induced degeneration. J Cell Biol 151:1537-1548, 2000.
Georgi-Geisberger P, Berns H, Loncarevic IF, Yu Z-Y, Tang Z-Y, Zentgraf H, Schroeder CH. Mutations on free and integrated hepatitis B virus DNA in a hepatocellular carcinoma: Footprints of homologous recombination. Oncology 49:386-395, 1992.
Last update: June 2002