The Human Resources Internship offers a motivated individual an opportunity to spend a summer placement within the Human Resources department at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Interns will work side-by-side with professionals on projects in a professional environment to gain insight and experience into the world of Human Resources Management and Development.
The internship will be project-focused with exposure to various components of our working environment. The internship is located in Memphis, TN.
Candidates should note that our internships are full-time learning experiences. You should expect to be available Monday through Friday during standard office hours starting June 1, 2020 through August 7, 2020.
Typical Learning Opportunities
As an experiential and immersive program, you will develop and hone your practical skills on Human Resource Occupational Health and Safety. Essential learning activities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Under mentorship of St. Jude’s Occupational Health and Safety team, learn the development and administration of efficient and professional operations of occupational health services in accordance with company policies, practices, procedures, and applicable regulations to achieve the desired goals and objectives
- Collaborate with outside resources for program development, such as healthcare providers, third-party administrators, legal advisors, medical director, regulatory agencies, etc.
- Assist with evaluation and treatment of employee injuries and illnesses in an efficient and professional manner and within the scope of practice
- Assess employee’s healthcare needs, then implement and manage healthcare programs to improve health
- Identify primary, secondary, and tertiary prevention and health promotion strategies to optimize health of the population.
- Assure compliance with regulatory requirements related to clinical operations such as OSHA and CDC
- Assist with the accident investigation program to identify root cause analysis of incidents and near misses. Provide appropriate case management
- Assist the ergonomic team in assessing jobs and provide input regarding ergonomic improvements.
Additionally, you will take part in a variety of activities such as hospital tours, networking opportunities, building relationships with a variety of professionals across the institution, and have access to a dedicated mentor, to continue developing new skills.
- Enrolled in a bachelor’s or master’s program in nursing, public health, health sciences, clinical research, healthcare administration.
- Interested candidates must be enrolled in an accredited college program.
- 3.0 GPA or above. Any exceptions to these requirements must be approved by the VP of Academic Programs.
- Be entering junior or senior year to be considered.
Characteristics of the Successful Candidate
Students most likely to succeed as an intern will be:
- Passionate about promotion of healthcare and being an advocate for the employee’s right in prevention of work related injuries and illnesses
- Creative and eager to learn
- Positive attitude and strong desire to help others
- Strong interpersonal skill set and professional communication skills
- Versatile, good at multi-tasking and follow through
How to Apply
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to StJudeHRInternships@stjude.org. Your letter should include a statement on how participation in this internship would support your academic and career goals.
Please note: Any previous internships or work experience should be included on resume.
Successful candidates will qualify for a stipend. All other expenses including housing, food and transportation are the responsibility of the selected intern.
Deadline to Submit Cover Letter and Resume
The application deadline for the Summer 2020 internship is January 31, 2020.
Please email StJudeHRInternships@stjude.org with any questions.