The St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital Medical Content Outreach Graduate Internship will provide future marketers with relevant experience in health care. During the internship, the selected student will work with a team creating content for an online resource, marketing a new website, exploring national partnerships, and developing technical elements. The student will play an essential role in various initiatives and participate in additional St. Jude activities.
The student will report to the Director, Medical Content for Patient Outreach (MCO). Additional opportunities will exist to actively participate in project management, writing and editing, content management system services, search engine optimization, and primary research.
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is one of the world's premier centers for research and treatment of catastrophic diseases in children. The mission of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is to advance cures, and means of prevention, for pediatric catastrophic diseases through research and treatment. Consistent with the vision of our Founder Danny Thomas, no child is denied treatment based on race, religion or a family's ability to pay. St. Jude is the only pediatric hospital designated as a Comprehensive Cancer Center by the National Cancer Institute.
St. Jude was founded by entertainer Danny Thomas and opened in 1962. It is supported primarily by funds from volunteer contributions raised by the American Lebanese Syrian Associated Charities® (ALSAC). ALSAC is the national fund-raising organization established by Danny Thomas expressly for the purpose of funding St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. St. Jude also receives funding from federal grants, insurance and investments.
Approximately 8,500 patients are seen each year. All patients are followed for 10 years or more after active treatment ends as part of the St. Jude LIFE and After Completion of Therapy Clinic, the largest long-term follow-up program for childhood cancer patients. To date, St. Jude has treated more than 23,000 children from across the United States and around the world.
St. Jude currently employs approximately 4,100 scientists, clinicians and support personnel. St. Jude is embarking on an aggressive and bold 6-year strategic plan that will include adding 1,000 employees, treating 600 additional patients per year and adding four new buildings.
St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital seeks a creative and motivated individual to provide assistance with numerous projects that support the Medical Content for Patient Outreach (MCO) department. We are also known as the Together team, which launched a new website from St. Jude, https://together.stjude.org, in September 2018. The intern will assist with projects that support the team within content development, marketing support, translation services, and community expansion. The intern will have exposure to a variety of internal groups including clinical, research and other administrative areas.
- Research and draft articles and/or other posts based on identified content calendar goals
- Work with subject matter experts during the content development or content review processes
- Collect data and information to support tools on the website such as the facility search, clinical trials locator or glossary
- Continue work on the marketing link building strategy, identifying, researching and connecting with potential resources
- Assist in identifying, exploring, and creating potential partnerships with organizations that support MCO goals
- Support various activities related to launch and development of the patient and family Communities area
- Analyze various web metrics including Conductor and Google Analytics, make recommendations for actions, and implement agreed upon activities
- Work with the team to conduct research for active health communications projects
A graduate student interested in marketing management in a healthcare setting with an interest in health communications, digital strategy, and patient education. Must be currently enrolled in a Master of Business Administration or similar program and in good academic standing (GPA 3.0+).
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter and team player, show strong analytical proficiency, possess high attention to detail, demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication expertise, and own robust interpersonal skills.
How to Apply
To be considered, applicants must electronically submit the following items by Friday, November 30, 2018, 12am midnight CST:
- Current resume in PDF format
- Cover letter in PDF format addressing interest in marketing management and the St. Jude Internship
- Graduate transcripts (unofficial copies will be accepted, but download links will not)
- For first year students, if fall semester grades are not yet available, please send an unofficial transcript showing the currently enrolled classes
- Candidates who make it to the next round will be contacted to participate in a phone interview
- A select number of candidates invited for an on-site interview
- A web-based interview may be arranged in lieu of an on-site interview should an applicant be unable to attend an on-site interview
- Offers will be extended and all other interviewed applicants will be notified of their application status no later than January 31, 2019
The internship will begin mid to late May 2019 and will run through mid-August (approximately 12 weeks). The internship is a full-time learning experience. Students should expect to be available Monday through Friday during standard office hours throughout the summer.
Compensation and Housing
Compensation will be determined by St. Jude Leadership and will be based on the student's experience and the availability of funds. For non-local interns, the internship may sponsor housing up to a specific amount.
Application Contact Information
Interested students may contact Diane Roberts at firstname.lastname@example.org or 901-595-0260.
Deadline: Cover letter and resume PDF, and unofficial transcripts by 12am midnight CST on Friday, November 30, 2018. Offers will be made by January 31, 2019.