Want to run a marathon? Here's why the St. Jude Memphis Marathon is the race you've been looking for.
1. Running a marathon = bragging rights for life.
2. There’s an Elvis impersonator.
3. The course goes through the St. Jude campus.
4. You’ll run on Beale Street, and you’ll feel like a rock star.
5. There are spirit stations almost every mile, with Memphis music and other local entertainment.
6. Fundraising isn't required, but every runner receives tools and support to raise funds for St. Jude. Raise $100 and you’ll earn a St. Jude Heroes singlet.
7. You’ll finish to a cheering crowd in AutoZone Park, home of the AAA Memphis Redbirds.
8. You’ll run through historic Overton Square.
9. The crowd support from St. Jude families and supporters is unparalleled.
10. Speaking of which, when you fundraise, you’re running for a cause — for the kids of St. Jude.
11. Registration fees help us put on a great race, but fundraising dollars help ensure no family ever receives a bill from St. Jude for treatment, travel, housing or food — because all a family should worry about is helping their child live.
12. It’s the best tour of Memphis you can get on two feet.
13. It’s an official Boston qualifier.
14. There’s beer at the end.
15. And rock and roll at the starting line.
16. You can personalize your bib, for free, so everyone can cheer for you by name.
17. Your medal can be personalized too, with a portion of proceeds going to St. Jude.
18. There are hotel discounts and pasta specials all over town for race weekend.
19. St. Jude freely shares the breakthroughs we make. Every child saved at St. Jude means doctors and scientists worldwide can use that knowledge to save thousands more children.
20. The race being the first weekend in December means perfect fall weather for training.
21. Raising money for St. Jude kids is the most incredible inspiration during long runs.
22. For those in the Memphis area, Breakaway Running hosts a free group training program on Saturday mornings.
23. After all of those miles, your legs are going to look fantastic when race day rolls around.
24. And your finisher medal will be a permanent reminder of your awesomeness.
25. Treatments invented at St. Jude have helped push the overall childhood cancer survival rate from 20 percent to more than 80 percent since it opened in 1962. We won’t stop until no child dies from cancer.
26(.2). St. Jude kids and their families are grateful for each and every runner. Come race day, your hard work means hope for their future. What better reason could there be to run than that?