Thank you for volunteering to make craft packets for the St. Jude Happy Cart. The Happy Cart goes around to inpatient rooms several nights a week to offer patients and families a welcome distraction. Crafts should be complex enough to maintain their interest.
The following is an example of a great craft to give you an idea of what is needed as you put your own craft packets together. Visually appealing, quality crafts are highly sought after by patients.
A few tips to keep in mind when making the packets so they can be fully enjoyed by the patients:
- All materials must be new
- Use one gallon clear sealed zippered plastic bags as the packet
- Include all materials needed to complete the craft except glue, scissors, markers, and crayons
- Glue, scissors, and markers or crayons in packages may be donated separately
- Picture of completed craft in color ink in front of bag
- Step-by-step instructions easily readable in back of bag (English and Spanish versions, if possible)
- All crafts should be religiously, politically, ethnically, and culturally neutral
- Packets for all ages are needed, including teens, young adults and parents
Here are things that cannot be used and should be left out of the craft packets:
- Latex balloons
- Toy guns
- Water guns
- Any food items ( beans, pasta, etc.)
- Small objects that could be a choking hazard
- Threatening themes such as death, medical procedures, medical personnel, and illness
- Other unsafe materials
- Any personal information (your name, name of your organization, address, etc.)
Once again, thank you for donating your time and resources to make craft packets for the Happy Cart. Patients and families truly enjoy the time they get to spend working on these activities.
Please contact Volunteer Services at email@example.com if you have any other questions.