Volunteering in our housing facilities offers an up close and personal experience right in the home away from home of our patients and their families. You don't need to have special skills or talents to help. If you live in the greater Memphis area, there are plenty of ways to get involved as an individual volunteer. Read more about each location to find the assignment that works best for you.
Our individual volunteer positions are for adults ages 18 and up. They require a regular commitment served once a week or three times a month to be determined on an individual basis.
Target House is the primary long-term housing option for patients at St. Jude. This house is sponsored by Target and features 98 fully-furnished, two-bedroom apartments. Patients are assigned to Target House if their treatment is scheduled to last more than three months.
(Placements vary in availability.)
- Elephant Keeper Volunteers stock art supplies, prepare craft kits, and help display artwork in the Art Gallery and on bulletin boards. In addition, volunteers may help prepare for events, organize donated items to replace broken or older toys and make welcome bags for new residents. Shift times: Monday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m.; Friday, 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Event Volunteers help with specific events that are provided by groups outside of the hospital. These events can range from arts and crafts, meals and holiday-themed activities. Event volunteers will work with our Volunteer Coordinator to make sure all St. Jude policies and procedures are followed and to help the visiting group as needed. Shift times: Monday-Friday, 4-7 p.m.
- Pantry Volunteers assist with food and supply inventory, fulfill orders, deliver order requests to residents and sanitize carts. Supplemental groceries are provided to households meeting the qualifications through donations and volunteer support. Shift times: Monday-Thursday, between 2 and 6 p.m.
- Amenities Cart Volunteers support Target House families and guests by providing a door-to-door convenience service to distribute toiletries, crafts, toys, hot drinks and other amenities for families to make their stay more enjoyable and comfortable in the evenings. Volunteers for this service work in pairs. Shift times: Monday-Thursday, 2-6 p.m.
- Parcels Volunteers assist with special events at our newly renovated housing facility. These volunteers will work with our Volunteer Coordinator for placement. Shift times: Will vary by event.
Tri Delta Place
Tri Delta Place is the only housing facility located on the St. Jude campus. It serves as housing for families whose children are scheduled for treatment that will last seven days or less. This house features 64 hotel-style rooms and 36 suites.
(Placements vary in availability.)
- Family Room Volunteers organize activities in the common areas of Tri Delta Place. Volunteers keep these spaces well-stocked with toys, books and games, and perform light chores to make sure the rooms are clean for our in-house families and prospective tours. Shift times: Daily, 1-5 p.m.
- Weekend Activity Lead Volunteers support Tri Delta Place on the weekends by planning, coordinating, implementing and leading recurring activities for guests staying through the weekend. This volunteer opportunity can be performed in pairs, if necessary. Shift times: Saturday and Sunday, 4-6 p.m.
- Dinner and Craft Volunteers get the dining room of Tri Delta Place ready for dinner, help serve meals when needed, deliver meals to isolation families and help with clean-up. They also encourage children to engage in a craft activity and help plan evening activities. Shift times: Monday-Thursday, 4:30-7 p.m.
- Breakfast Prep Volunteers assist the Tri Delta Place breakfast attendant by preparing individually bagged breakfast items for patient families for morning meals. These meals adhere to infection control procedures and are extremely important for patients undergoing treatment. Shift times: Saturday and Sunday, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Front Desk Concierge Volunteers support the staff at the front desk by meeting and greeting new and returning families checking into Tri Delta Place during high volume times. Volunteers assist the front desk staff during the check-in and check-out process, fulfilling general clerical needs, helping families transport luggage to and from their rooms, or answering any questions. Shift times: Sunday-Thursday, 5-9 p.m.
- Amenities Cart Volunteers support Tri Delta Place families and guests by providing a door-to-door convenience service to distribute toiletries, crafts, toys, hot drinks and other amenities for families to make their stay more enjoyable and comfortable in the evenings. Volunteers for this service work in pairs. Shift times: Sunday-Thursday, 5-9 p.m.