Target House is the primary long term housing option for patients at St. Jude. Patients are assigned to Target House if their treatment is scheduled to last more than three months. This house features 96 fully-furnished, two-bedroom apartments, and is sponsored by Target.
Individual Volunteer Opportunities
(Placements vary in availability.)
- Elephant Keeper Volunteers help keep the Arts & Crafts Room ready to use by stocking art supplies, preparing craft kits and neatly displaying artwork. Elephant keepers may also assist with bulletin boards and hanging artwork in the Art Gallery. In addition, they may ready the House for an event, process and organize donated items, help by putting away toys, making welcome bags for new residents, or by replacing games and toys in the common rooms with the new, donated items. Elephant keepers are an important part of the patient experience.
Requirements: Must have good communication and organization skills. Also, must be able to work independently. Experience with arts and crafts is helpful but not required. Shift times available Monday through Thursday, anytime between 11:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. and Friday between 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
- Event Volunteers lead episodic volunteer events offered by numerous groups generously giving time and effort and sometimes meals to the Target House. They work with Volunteer Coordinator to ensure appropriate orientation to policies and procedures and provide assistance to the group as needed.
Requirements: Must be able to demonstrate leadership while working with volunteer groups. Must be able to effectively communicate with group volunteers about infection control,/safety standards and confidentiality regulations Shift times available weekdays, anytime between 4:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.
- Pantry Volunteers: These volunteers help the families of Target House by assisting with food and supply inventory, fulfilling orders, deliver order request to residents and sanitize carts. Since its inception, supplemental groceries have been provided to households meeting the demands through donations and volunteer support in the pantry.
Requirements: Must have good communication and organization skills. Also, must be able to work independently. Shift times available Monday through Thursday, between 2:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.
- Trolley (Amenities Cart) Volunteers: The Target House now has a trolley cart to roll through the corridors filled with amenities to share with families. The “Trolley” will provide activities and products for everyone at their doorstep. Volunteer are needed to help make this possible.
Requirements: Must be able to physically push a cart around on hardwood floors for at least two hours per week. Also, must be able to work as part of a team and possess good verbal communication skills. Shift times available Tuesday and Thursday, from 4:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.
The above individual volunteer positions are for adults ages 18 and up. They require a weekly commitment of 2–4 hours, served on a regular day and time, for a minimum commitment of one year.
For more information or to apply for one of these positions, please see our shift program checklist.
Group Volunteer Opportunities
- Dinner Donors are groups that donate dinners to our families and patients staying at Target House. They provide healthy meals for patients and their families, as well as entertainment and educational activities.
- Craft/Activity Groups conduct crafts and activities at Target House. Previous activities include paint parties, scrapbooking, karaoke night, bingo, etc.
- Group Volunteers are needed to assist with chores, which may include sanitizing toys, event preparations, stocking the pantry, create DIY crafts and organizing.
Group volunteers help make Target House a more welcoming environment for our patients and families. If your group is interested in volunteering in one of the above positions, see Target House Volunteer Events.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about our group opportunities.