Before you apply, ensure that you are able to fulfill the role of a volunteer at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital by reviewing the following
- Do I live within 50 miles of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, 262 Danny Thomas Place, Memphis, TN 38105?
- Am I at least 18 years of age or older and not enrolled in high school?
- Have I carefully considered my schedule and know that I can commit to the requirements outlined previously?
- Do I have a positive attitude and a sincere interest in the hospital and its mission of helping children?
- Do I understand and am I comfortable with the idea or image of a child with a catastrophic illness?
- Will I treat my volunteer responsibilities with the same respect that I do work obligations?
- Do I enjoy working in new situations, taking on different duties, or helping in additional ways based on the needs of the people around me?
- Can I genuinely say I am not seeking a paid position with St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital?
- Am I comfortable making repeated trips to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital to complete volunteer orientation, medical checks and training (this may total as many as 4 trips to the hospital) before my actual volunteer shift begins?
- Do I willingly agree to submit to a criminal background check and understand that St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital does not accept volunteers performing court-ordered volunteer service?
If you answer "yes" to all, please continue. If you answer "no" to any, it is possible that our organization may not meet your goals as a volunteer.
Continue with the next group of statements:
- I hope that my volunteer work will lead to a job at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
- I want to use my volunteer position to improve my English-speaking skills.
- I hope to meet other people like me and expand my social network.
- I want to gain clinical experience (hopefully by shadowing or assisting a member of the hospital's medical staff).
- I hope volunteering my time will help me work through the loss of a loved one.
- I hope to share my personal experience with others.
- I am "in between jobs" and am hoping to use my free time to be of service.
- I need to be busy all the time.
If any of the above statements apply to you, it is possible that our organization may not meet your goals as a volunteer or that the great needs of our patients and their families may not be met. However, we invite you to consider serving our patients in other equally valuable ways that still demand a significant time commitment on your part.
Did you answer "yes" to all of the of questions in the first list, and "no" to all of the questions in the second?