Volunteer Program Canceled Summer 2020
To help ensure the safety of our campus for our patients, their families and our employees as the COVID-19 pandemic continues, we have made the difficult decision to suspend most of the volunteer, student, trainee and intern programs on our campus effective Monday, March 23, 2020. The webpage will be updated when programming resumes.
Applications are now open. Applications will close April 22, or when all positions are filled.
The Summer Volunteer Program will provide volunteer service opportunities for individuals who will reside in Memphis, TN, in the summer. In 2020, the program shifts will begin June 2 and end August 7. (Note: Participants must be present for mandatory orientation on May 19.)
The Summer Volunteer Program is highly structured to accommodate individuals who wish to gain experience with patients in a hospital environment. Several volunteer opportunities have been identified to provide a unique St. Jude volunteer contribution, thus helping improve our patient and family experience.
This year, you will have the opportunity to either serve with the Child Life Summer Volunteer Program or our traditional Summer Volunteer Program.
The Child Life volunteers help with recreational activities and play opportunities in group and one-on-one situations by providing a comfortable, accepting and non-threatening environment under the direction of a Child Life Specialist.
Child Life volunteers also assist the specialists with keeping toys clean, shelves stocked and organized, preparing for activities and events and much more.
The traditional Summer Volunteer Program will offer several volunteer opportunities throughout the hospital. Examples of shift experiences might include interacting with patients and families; participating in patient movie/craft/video-gaming events; cleaning toys; rounding up wagons and wheelchairs and escorting guests as needed; running an amenities cart to family rooms; or helping outside in the garden.
Due to the limited duration of this program, all participants must be able to meet the following requirements without exception:
- Be at least 18 years old and have graduated from high school.
- Able to volunteer 3 times a week from June to August 7; participants schedule their own shifts based on our openings and participant availability. Shifts range from Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. for 2-4 hours, depending upon the role. There is also an available shift on Sunday nights, 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Be within 50 miles of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital (zip code 38105) for the duration of the program.
- Be willing to perform and adapt to various volunteer duties.
- Apply and complete paperwork requirements by the deadline given. After successful application submission and review, complete an on-demand video interview. Paperwork requirements will be emailed upon completion and review of video interview.
- If selected, you must attend MANDATORY volunteer orientation on Tuesday, May 19, from 12:00-5:00 p.m., and training on Tuesday, June 2, from 12:00-5:00 p.m.
PLEASE NOTE: St. Jude Summer Interns, and students enrolled in the St. Jude Pediatric Oncology Experience (POE), are not eligible for this program. Please contact Volunteer Services for alternative volunteer opportunities.
Additionally, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital does not provide housing for volunteers. Any housing arrangements must be arranged and paid for by the participant.
If you have additional questions regarding the Summer Volunteer Program, contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.