BS – California State University, Dominguez Hills, Carson, California
MS – University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California
PhD – University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California
Honors & Awards
- 2012 Keystone Symposia Early Career Investigator Travel Award
- 2011 Carl Storm Underrepresented Minority Fellowship
- 2009-2010 Keystone Symposia on Molecular and Cellular Biology Fellowship
- 2006-2010 IRACDA Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California San Diego, and San Diego State University
- 2002-2006 The Institute on Teaching and Mentoring Southern Regional Education Board/NSF Alliances for Graduate Education and the Professoriate Scholar Program Fellowship
- 2002-2006 Ruth L. Kischstein National Research Service Award Individual Pre-doctoral Fellowship
- Target oriented chemical synthesis of novel natural products from terrestrial plants, guided by certain tropical folk medicine (such as the Erythrina alkaloids and the Trichothecenes).
- Upon the development of flexible and efficient synthetic approaches, rational-designed libraries will be synthesized for biological screening, and facilitate the development of therapeutic agents for the treatment of cancer and metabolic syndrome-related disorders.
- Isolation and structure elucidation of natural products of medicinal interest.
Hadi V, Hotard M, Ling T, Salinas YG, Palacios G, Connelly M, Rivas F. Evaluation of Jatropha isabelli natural products and their synthetic analogs as potential antimalarial therapeutic agents.European Journal of Medical Chemistry 65:376-380, 2013.
Mitachi K, Salinas YG, Connelly M, Jensen N, Ling T, Rivas F. Synthesis and structure-activity relationship of disubstituted benzamides as a novel class of antimalarial agents. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Lett 22:4536-4539, 2012.
Nicolaou KC, Ellery SP, Rivas F, Saye K, Rogers E, Workinger TJ, Schallenberger M, Tawatao T, Montero A, Hessell A, Romesberg F, Carson D, Burton D. Synthesis and biological evaluation of 2’,4’- and 3’,4’-bridged nucleoside analogues. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry 19:5648–5669, 2011.
Nicolaou KC, Aversa, RJ, Jin J, Rivas F. Synthesis of the ABCDEFG ring system of Maitotoxin. J Am Chem Soc 132:6855-6861, 2010.
Nicolaou KC, Frederick M, Burtoloso A, Denton R, Rivas F, Cole K, Aversa RJ, Gibe R, Umezawa T, Suzuki T. Chemical synthesis of the GHIJKLMNO ring system of Maitotoxin. J Am Chem Soc 130:7466-7476, 2008.
Rivas F, Ghosh S, Theodorakis EA. Synthetic studies toward the Zoanthamine alkaloids: synthesis of the fully functionalized BC ring motif. Tetrahedron Lett 46:5281-5284, 2005.
Gonzalez MA, Ghosh S, Rivas F, Fischer D, Theodorakis EA. Synthesis of ( ) - and (-)-Isocarvone.Tetrahedron Lett 45:5039-5041, 2004.
Ghosh S, Rivas F, Fischer D, Gonzalez MA, Theodorakis EA. Stereoselective synthesis of the ABC ring system of Norzoanthamine. Organic Lett 6(6):941-944, 2004.
Ling T, Rivas F, Theodorakis EA. Stereoselective synthesis of the fully functionalized core fragment of Terpentecin. Tetrahedron Lett 43:9019-9022, 2002.
Last update: September 2013