What is aminocaproic acid?
Aminocaproic acid (also called Amicar®) is used to treat minor bleeds of the mouth and nose or menstrual blood loss. This medicine is available as a white 500 mg tablet, a white 1000 mg tablet, and a clear liquid taken by mouth. It is also available as a clear liquid given by vein (IV).
Possible side effects of aminocaproic acid
- Nausea or vomiting
- Belly pain or heartburn
- Nasal congestion
- Short-term discomfort (if receiving Aminocaproic acid by vein)
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to your doctor or nurse.
In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist at 595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 once the call is connected.
Special instructions for aminocaproic acid
- This medicine may be given with food or without food. If upset stomach occurs after giving medicine, give with food.
- If you have nausea or vomiting while taking this medicine these ideas might help: small meals more often, frequent mouth care, sucking hard, sugar-free candy, or chewing sugar-free gum.
- If you cannot swallow the tablets, a liquid form of the medicine is available.
- The liquid can be used for patients who have feeding tubes. The feeding tube should be flushed before and after the medicine is given.
- The liquid dose must be measured very carefully. Use oral syringes provided by the pharmacy to measure the dose.
- Please give this medicine to your child for at least 24 hours even if the bleeding stops after your child receives only one (1) dose.
- Store both tablets and liquid forms at room temperature.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).