Amlodipine (also called Norvasc®) is a medicine used to lower blood pressure and to relieve some types of chest pain. Amlodipine is available as 2.5 mg tablet, 5 mg tablet, 10 mg tablet, and a liquid suspension. All are taken by mouth.
Possible side effects
- Feeling dizzy, light-headed, or having fainting spells
- Feeling drowsy
- Facial flushing
- Irregular heartbeat, chest pain, palpitations
- Feeling unusually weak or tired
- Stomach pain or gas
- Swelling of legs or ankles
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to the doctor or nurse.
In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist at 901-595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 once the call is connected.
- This medicine may cause you to feel dizzy or light-headed. Do not operate heavy equipment or drive a motor vehicle until you see how this medicine will affect you. To avoid fainting, sit up or stand up slowly after you have been lying down.
- You or your nurse should check your blood pressure regularly while you are taking amlodipine. Your doctor will tell you what to do if your blood pressure is low or high. Your dose of amlodipine may change based on your blood pressure. If your blood pressure is above _____________ or below__________, call your doctor right away.
- If you have a sudden onset of severe diarrhea or vomiting or if you sweat a lot, tell your doctor right away. This loss of body fluid may decrease your blood pressure.
- Do not stop taking amlodipine without talking to your doctor. Ask your doctor how you should gradually reduce your dose before you stop taking this medicine.
- If you are taking the liquid suspension of amlodipine, you should shake the suspension well before taking the medicine. The liquid suspension form should be stored in the refrigerator. Do not use after the expiration date printed on the label.
- Store amlodipine tablets at room temperature in a dry place.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).