Anti-thymocyte globulin [also called ATG, ATGAM (horse), or Thymoglobulin (rabbit)] is a clear liquid that is given by vein (IV), usually during a long infusion (at least 4 hours, up to 24 hours).
Possible side effects
- Fever and chills
- Skin rash
- Muscle and joint pain, nausea and vomiting, plus skin rash ("serum sickness")
- Allergic reaction: symptoms include itching, redness of skin, severe chills, shortness of breath, low blood pressure, and pain in the chest, side, or back
Later (more than a day after treatment starts)
- Low blood counts
- Increased risk of infection
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to the doctor or nurse.
In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call 595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 once the call is connected.
- The infusion of ATG may be slowed down or interrupted to lessen the side effects.
- You will receive medications before the ATG infusion starts to decrease the chance for allergic reaction.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).