What is bosentan?
Bosentan (also called Tracleer®) is used to treat high blood pressure in the lungs and to help improve exercise ability. It may also be given for other reasons. Talk with your doctor. Bosentan is available as a 62.5mg tablet, 125mg tablet, and a liquid made by the pharmacy. All are taken by mouth.
Possible side effects of bosentan
- Anemia (low red blood cell count)
- Respiratory tract infection
- Irritated nose
- Swelling in the legs
- Low blood pressure
If you have any of these side effects, tell the doctor right away:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain or feeling short of breath
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Feeling lightheaded, dizzy, or fainting
- Rapid weight gain, swelling in your hands, ankles, lower legs, or feet
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest
- Dark urine or pale stools, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
- Feeling very tired or weak
- Joint pain
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to the doctor or nurse. In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist at 901-595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833).
Special instructions for bosentan
- You should not take this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to bosentan.
- Do not use bosentan if you are taking cyclosporine or glyburide.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. This medicine may harm an unborn baby
- Birth control pills and other hormone-based birth control might not work as well to prevent pregnancy. Use an extra form of birth control, like a condom, when taking this medicine. Continue for at least one (1) month after you stop treatment.
- You must test negative for pregnancy before starting this medicine. Also, the staff will give you a pregnancy test every month during your treatment
- Do not breastfeed a baby while you are using this medicine.
- This medicine may lower sperm counts in men. This may affect being able to father a child. Talk with the doctor.
- If you miss a dose, take that dose as soon as you remember. If it is less than 4 hours before your next dose, wait and take the regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Tell your doctor if you have liver disease, heart disease, or lung problems.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. Your doctor will need to slowly decrease your dose before you stop taking it.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Avoid grapefruit and grapefruit juice while taking bosentan. It can increase the amount of the medicine your body absorbs, causing side effects.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).