What is cefepime?
Cefepime (also called Maxipime®) is a medicine used to treat infections. Cefepime is available as a yellow liquid that is given into a vein (IV).
Possible side effects of cefepime
- Upset stomach
- Changes in liver function tests
- Blurred vision
- Feeling lightheaded
- Allergic reaction with these symptoms: rash, hives, itching, chills, fever, shortness of breath, muscle aches, swelling of the face or neck, headache, tight feeling in the throat, or coughing
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to the doctor or nurse.
In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist at 901-595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 once the call is connected.
Special instructions for cefepime
- Tell your doctor before you receive cefepime if you have had an allergic reaction to a cephalosporin or penicillin antibiotic.
- If you have any allergic symptoms (listed above) or severe or watery diarrhea while you are receiving cefepime, tell your doctor right away.
- If you are an outpatient taking cefepime through a portable pump (such as an Eclipse® device):
- Finish all doses of cefepime as instructed by your doctor, even if you think your condition has improved.
- Store cefepime in the refrigerator or on ice.
- Place one (1) dose of cefepime at room temperature about 30 minutes before the dose is received.
- See “Do You Know…Using the Eclipse® medicine device” for details.
- If you have decreased kidney function, tell your doctor before you receive cefepime.
- Cefepime may cause a false-positive urine test when the amount of sugar (glucose) in the urine is measured.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).