Cefixime (also called Suprax®) is used to prevent or treat infections. It is available as a 400 mg tablet and a liquid suspension taken by mouth.
How to take and store cefixime
- You may take cefixime with or without food. If you have stomach pain, take cefixime with food.
- Shake the liquid well before you take it. Use an oral syringe or medicine cup to be sure you are taking the correct amount.
- Store the tablets at room temperature in dry place.
- Store the liquid medicine at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
- Discard the liquid medicine after 14 days or on the expiration date printed on the label.
Possible side effects
- Nausea, vomiting
- Loss of appetite
- Feeling drowsy or dizzy
- Trouble sleeping
- Feeling nervous
- Being tired more than usual
- Stomach pain
- Allergic reaction with the following symptoms: rash, hives, itching, chills, fever, and joint pain
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to the doctor or nurse.
In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist at 901-595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 once the call is connected.
- Before taking cefixime, tell your doctor if you have had an allergic reaction to any other cephalosporin or penicillin antibiotics. If you have allergy symptoms (listed above) or you have severe or watery diarrhea, tell your doctor right away.
- Finish all doses of this medicine as instructed by your doctor, even if you think your condition is better. Do not stop taking this medicine unless your doctor tells you to do so.
- Do not take cefixime while you are taking probenecid, aspirin, or carbamazepine without telling your doctor. Probenecid and aspirin may increase the levels of cefixime in your body. Cefixime may increase the levels of carbamazepine in your body.
- Cefixime may cause a false-positive urine test result when checking your urine for sugar (glucose) levels.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
1-866-278-5833 تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث بلغة أخرى، فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك بالمجان. يرجى الاتصال بالرقم
.(1-901-595-1040 :الهاتف النصي)