What is ceftazidime?
Ceftazidime (also called Fortaz®) is a medicine used to treat infections. Ceftazidime is available as a yellow liquid that is given into a vein (IV).
Possible side effects of ceftazidime
- Upset stomach
- Changes in liver function tests
- Allergic reaction with the following symptoms: rash, hives, itching, chills, fever, shortness of breath, muscle aches, swelling of the face or neck, headache, tight feeling in throat, or coughing
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to the doctor or nurse.
In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist at 901-595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 once the call is connected.
Special instructions for ceftazidime
- Tell your doctor before you receive ceftazidime if you have had an allergic reaction to a cephalosporin or penicillin antibiotic.
- If you have allergy symptoms (listed above) or severe or watery diarrhea while you are receiving ceftazidime, tell your doctor right away.
- If you have decreased kidney function, tell your doctor before you receive ceftazidime.
- Ceftazidime may cause a false-positive result when checking the amount of sugar (glucose) in the urine.
- If you are an outpatient taking ceftazidime through a portable pump (such as an Eclipse® device):
- Finish all doses of ceftazidime as instructed by your doctor, even if you think your condition has improved;
- Store ceftazidime in the refrigerator or on ice; and
- Place one (1) dose of ceftazidime at room temperature about 30 minutes before the dose is received.
- See “Do You Know…Using the Eclipse® medicine device” for details.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).