What is desmopressin?
Desmopressin (also called Stimate®) is used to help manage bleeding disorders. It is available as spray that is squirted in the nose.
Possible side effects of desmopressin
- Headache or dizzy feeling that does not go away
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Cough or sore throat
- Watery eyes
- Nausea, vomiting, or upset stomach
- Rapid weight gain
- Swelling of feet, legs, or ankles
- Fatigue and muscle weakness
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to your doctor or nurse.
In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist at 595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 once the call is connected.
Special instructions for desmopressin
- If you are using the nasal spray for the first time, you need to pump or squeeze the bottle until some of the medicine sprays out. Always prime the spray if you have not used the medicine for 5 days or longer.
- Before using the medicine, gently blow your nose to clear the nostrils. After using this medicine, wipe the tip of the bottle with a clean tissue then replace the cap.
- On the days that you use this medicine, only drink enough fluids to quench thirst.
- Do not use this medicine for more than 3 days in a row. If the bleeding has not stopped after 3 days, please notify your clinic.
- Store this medicine in the refrigerator. Do not freeze it. For travelers, desmopressin is good for 3 weeks at room temperature.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).