What is dronabinol?
Dronabinol (also called Marinol®) is used to treat nausea or vomiting. This medicine is also used to make a person feel hungrier. Dronabinol is available as a 2.5-mg round white pill and a 5-mg round reddish-brown pill.
How to take and store dronabinol
- Your doctor will tell you how to take dronabinol. Follow your doctor’s instructions.
- Keep dronabinol in a cool, dry place. Dronabinol pills can stick together or the medicine in them can break down when the pills are exposed to heat or direct light.
Possible side effects of dronabinol
- Fast or irregular heart beat
- Feeling drowsy
- Feeling dizzy or lightheaded
- Feeling happier than normal
- Hallucinating (seeing or hearing things that are not really there)
- Confused or trouble concentrating
- Mood changes, anxiety, or depression (feeling very sad)
- Trembling or weakness
- Sweating or skin looks flushed
- Stomach upset
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to the doctor or nurse.
In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse or pharmacist at 595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 once the call is connected.
Special instructions for dronabinol
- A dietitian will monitor your weight and food intake if you are taking dronabinol to increase your appetite. You will need to write down the amount of food that you eat. Bring the written record to the dietitian. The dietitian will tell you how many days you will need to write down your food intake. This staff member will also tell you when you can stop keeping track of your food intake.
- If your weight increases very fast or your appetite is too great while you are taking dronabinol, please call your doctor so your dronabinol dose can be reduced.
- Dronabinol can interact with other drugs. Tell your doctor the names of all medicines that you are taking. Be sure to tell your doctor whether you are taking any over-the-counter cough medicines.
- Have someone with you when you first take dronabinol, just in case you have a reaction. If your doctor changes your dose, you should have someone with you when you take your first new dose of dronabinol.
- You should not drive, operate machinery, or perform any hazardous activity until it is known how you will respond to dronabinol.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).