What is eltrombopag?
Eltrombopag (also called Promacta®) is a medicine that helps your body to produce blood cells, primarily platelets. Platelets are important for your blood to be able to clot. This medicine is used to treat immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) and some patients with aplastic anemia.
This medicine is available as 12.5 mg, 25 mg, 50 mg, and 75 mg tablets taken by mouth.
Possible side effects of eltrombopag
- Trouble sleeping
- Flu-like symptoms, feeling tired or weak
- Muscle or joint pain
- Upset stomach
- Loose stools (diarrhea)
- Increases in liver enzymes
- Call the doctor if you have any of the following side effects:
- Symptoms of a blood clot such as pain or swelling of arms or legs, changes in eyesight, confusion, trouble speaking, feeling weak, burning, numbness, tingling
These are the most common side effects, but there may be more. Report all side effects to your medical team.
In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist at 901-595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 once the call is connected.
Special instructions for eltrombopag
- Store eltrombopag tablets at room temperature.
- Eltrombopag is given one time each day at around the same time.
- The dose of this medicine may be increased until your medical team determines that you have had a response. Always read the instructions on your bottle to make sure you are taking the correct dose.
- This medicine must be given on an empty stomach.v
- Separate from food by 1 hour before and 2 hours after meals.
- Separate from dairy, minerals, supplements, and some antacids by 2 hours before and 4 hours after.
- Examples: Tums®, calcium, magnesium, iron, multivitamins
- If you are unsure if you can take eltrombopag with certain medicines, please talk to your medical team.
- If you miss a dose and remember within 6 hours of your usual dose time you may take the dose.
- If you remember more than 6 hours after your usual dose time, skip that dose and resume taking the medicine at your regular time the next day.
- Never take 2 doses in 24 hours.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).