What is etravirine?
Etravirine (Intelence®) is a tablet that contains medicine used to treat infection caused by the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). Etravirine belongs to a group of medicines known as nonnucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NNRTIs). Etravirine can slow down how soon you will see symptoms of HIV or slow the damage caused by HIV, but it cannot cure HIV infection. Etravirine is available as a 100 mg tablet.
How to take etravirine
- This tablet is usually taken one (1) time in the morning and one (1) time at night.
- Etravirine should be taken with food.
Possible side effects of etravirine
- Feeling more tired than usual
- Low blood counts
- High blood cholesterol levels
- High blood glucose levels
- Increased liver function tests
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to the doctor or nurse.
In case of severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist at 901-595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll- free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 once the call is connected.
Special instructions for etravirine
- Etravirine tablets should be stored at room temperature and away from heat and moisture.
- Etravirine may be dissolved in a small amount of water so that the patient may drink the medicine instead of swallowing the tablets whole.
- Some side effects, such as low blood counts, can be found with blood tests, So it is very important that you come to clinic at regularly planned times and have blood tests done.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).