What is Factor VIIa?
Factor VIIa (also called Novoseven®) is used to help manage bleeding disorders. It is available as a clear liquid given by vein (IV).
Possible side effects of Factor VIIa
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Short of breath
- Decrease in how much or how often you urinate
- Fever or chills
- Red or dark-brown urine
- Black stool
- Redness, pain, or swelling where the needle was placed
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to your doctor or nurse.
In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist at 595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 once the call is connected.
Special instructions for Factor VIIa
- Store this medicine in the refrigerator. Do not freeze it.
- Do not use this medicine after the expiration date.
- You may be taught how to give your medicine at home. Make sure you understand all the instructions before giving yourself an injection.
- Try not to miss a dose. If possible, have other family members trained to give your treatment in case you cannot give it to yourself. If you do miss a dose, ask your doctor or other health caregiver for instructions.
- This medicine is a powder that must be mixed with sterile water before you use it. The sterile water should come in the same package as the medicine. Let both the powdered medicine and the sterile water warm to room temperature before you mix them together.
- If you cannot use the medicine right after you mix it, you can store it at room temperature or in the refrigerator. You must use the medicine within 3 hours of mixing.
- Use a new needle and syringe each time you inject your medicine.
- Throw away used needles in a hard, closed container that the needles cannot poke through. Keep this container away from children.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of leftover medicine, containers, and other supplies. You also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).