What is famotidine?
Famotidine (also called Pepcid) blocks the release of stomach acid. It is used to treat stomach ulcers. It is also used to relieve pain and discomfort caused by gastroesophageal reflux disease (also called GERD or acid reflux). Famotidine is available in these forms:
- 10-mg, 20-mg, and 40-mg tablets taken by mouth
- 40 mg/5 mL suspension taken by mouth
- Clear liquid given by vein (IV)
Possible side effects of famotidine
- Nausea and vomiting
- Feeling dizzy
- Feeling drowsy
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to the doctor or nurse.
In case of severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist at 901-595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833).
Special instructions for famotidine
- You may receive this drug when you are taking a steroid medicine called dexamethasone or prednisone. Steroids can sometimes irritate the stomach, and famotidine may protect your stomach.
- Store the liquid medicine and the tablets at room temperature.
- Shake the liquid medicine well before use. Measure the liquid doses carefully using the oral syringe that comes with this drug. Discard the liquid medicine on the expiration date written on the label.
- You may receive this drug to mix into your TPN. Your home infusion nurse will teach you how to do this. Make sure to add famotidine to the TPN on the day of use. Refer to “Do you know… Withdrawing medicine from a vial.”
- Famotidine may affect the way other medicines work. These medicines include ketoconazole, dasatinib, erlotinib, pazopanib, risedronate, and cefuroxime. Always tell your doctor if you start any new medicines while taking famotidine.
- You can buy medicines similar to famotidine without a prescription. Do not take over-the-counter medicines without telling your doctor or pharmacist.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).