What is fidaxomicin?
Fidaxomicin (also called Dificid®) is used to treat diarrhea caused by a bacterial infection called Clostridioides difficile (C.diff). It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor. It is available as a 200 mg tablet taken by mouth.
Possible side effects of fidaxomicin
- Stomach pain
- Throwing up
- Loose stools (diarrhea)
If you have any of these side effects, tell the doctor right away:
- Short of breath
- Black, tarry or bloody stools
- Throwing up blood
- Severe loss of strength and energy
- Signs of an allergic reaction like wheezing; chest tightness; fever; itching; bad cough; blue skin color; seizures; or swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat.
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to the doctor or nurse. In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse or pharmacist at 901-595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833).
Special instructions for fidaxomicin
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Take your medicine at the same time each day.
- Take the tablet with or without food.
- Take all the medicine in your prescription to clear up your infection, even if you feel better after the first few doses.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time. Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Store the tablets in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture and direct light.
- Tell your doctor if:
- you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or
- you have an allergy to macrolide antibiotics.
Always give a complete list of medicines you are taking to your doctor or pharmacist. Check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking any new vitamins, herbals or other medicines.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).