What is fluconazole?
Fluconazole (also called Diflucan®) is used to treat fungal infections. It is available as a 100-mg, 150-mg, and 200-mg pink tablet, and as a white orange-flavored liquid suspension taken by mouth. It is also available as a clear liquid given by vein.
Possible side effects of fluconazole
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stomach upset
Later (usually more than a day after treatment starts)
- Temporary changes in liver function
- Feeling dizzy
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to the doctor or nurse.
In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist at 595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 once the call is connected.
Special instructions for fluconazole
- When taking the liquid suspension by mouth:
- Shake the liquid suspension well before each dose.
- Store the liquid at room temperature. Do not refrigerate.
- Discard the liquid suspension after 14 days.
- Fluconazole may affect the way other medicines work. These medicines include:
- Oral medicines for diabetes,
- Zidovudine, and
- These chemotherapy medicines:
- Ifosfamide, and
- Several medicines can affect how fluconazole works. These medicines include:
- rifampin, and
- Always tell your doctor if you are taking these medicines, or if you start taking any new medicine while you are taking fluconazole.
- Take fluconazole with food if stomach upset occurs.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).