Furosemide (also known as Lasix®) is used to help rid the body of extra fluid. This type of medicine is called a diuretic. It also helps lower blood pressure. Furosemide comes as a 20 mg tablet, a 40 mg tablet, and a liquid taken by mouth. It is also available as a clear liquid given into a vein (IV).
How to take and store furosemide
- Store all forms at room temperature, away from heat, light, and moisture.
- May be taken on an empty or full stomach.
Possible side effects
- Feeling dizzy
- Diarrhea (when taking the liquid medicine)
- Low blood pressure
- High blood sugar
- Loss of potassium in the blood
- Decreased appetite
- Stomach upset or abdominal pain
- Change in kidney function
- Rash and itching
- Changes in hearing
- Allergic reaction with the following symptoms: rash, hives, itching, chills, fever, swelling in the facial area.
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to the doctor or nurse.
In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse or pharmacist at 901-595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 once the call is connected.
- This medicine may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. Use sunscreen when you are outdoors or wear protective clothing.
- If you develop a rash while taking furosemide, tell your doctor right away.
- This medicine may make you feel dizzy. Do not operate heavy equipment or drive a motor vehicle until you see how this medicine will affect you.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
1-866-278-5833 تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث بلغة أخرى، فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك بالمجان. يرجى الاتصال بالرقم
.(1-901-595-1040 :الهاتف النصي)