For patients 60 days old or younger or patients who weigh less than 3 kg (6.6 lbs)
Heparin is an anticoagulant (AN ty koh AG yoo lent), a medicine that helps keep blood clots from forming. It does not dissolve blood clots that have already formed but may prevent the clots from becoming larger. It also is sometimes called a blood thinner. In low doses it can be used to prevent blood clots in central venous lines (catheters) when the lines are not in use.
- This medicine is offered in different strengths. Always check to make sure that you receive the same strength of heparin each time you pick up a new supply.
- If you receive a different strength of heparin, call your pharmacist.
- Never rely on the color of a label or bottle size as the only way to identify the right strength of heparin.
- Only use the amount of Heparin Lock Flush that your doctor or nurse has told you to use.
- The right dose of Heparin Lock Flush needed to flush each line is 2ml of 2 units per ml of preservative-free Heparin Lock Flush. This means that each lumen (central line tube) is flushed with 4 units of preservative-free Heparin Lock Flush each time.
- If your child was born prematurely, please tell your nurse. An early birth will sometimes change the amount of Heparin Lock Flush your child will get.
Know the amount of Heparin Lock Flush allowed per day
The most Heparin Lock Flush a child should get in one day (24 hours) is 40 units per kilogram (kg) of the child’s weight. Too much heparin in a 24-hour period can cause the blood to become too thin, which can lead to bleeding problems.
- To find out how much Heparin Lock Flush a child can get in a day, multiply 40 times the child’s weight in kilograms (kg).
- The child’s weight in kilograms ________ x 40 units = _________ units per day
- To find out how many flushes that would be in a day, please talk to your child’s St. Jude nurse or doctor.
Remember: When the child’s weight changes, the amount of Heparin Lock Flush that can be used per day also changes.
- Store Heparin Lock Flush at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
- Do not freeze Heparin Lock Flush.
- Throw out any unused medicine after the expiration date.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).