Immune globulin (also called IVIG, Gamunex®) is a medicine used to help the body fight infection. It is a clear liquid given by vein (IV) or by infusion under the skin.
Possible side effects
- Fever and chills
- Skin rash
- Mild chest, back, muscle, hip, or joint pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Low blood pressure
- Allergic reaction with these symptoms: itching, redness of skin, severe chills, short of breath, low blood pressure, and pain in the chest, side, or back
Later (usually more than a day after treatment starts)
- Muscle and joint pain, nausea and vomiting, plus skin rash ("serum sickness")
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to the doctor or nurse.
In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist at 901-595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 once the call is connected.
- Tell the nurse or doctor right away if you have fever, rash, pain, chills, or feel short of breath while you are receiving immune globulin.
- Immune globulin is given by IV over several hours, starting at a slow rate and gradually increasing the rate as long as you do not have side effects. If you have side effects, the rate may be slowed or the immune globulin may be stopped.
- A special form of immune globulin may also be given as an infusion under the skin (subcutaneous) over several hours one (1) time per week.
- If you have side effects with immune globulin, the doctor may give you medicine, such as Tylenol® or Benadryl®, to treat the side effects.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
1-866-278-5833 تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث بلغة أخرى، فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك بالمجان. يرجى الاتصال بالرقم
.(1-901-595-1040 :الهاتف النصي)