What is L-glutamine?
L-glutamine (also called Endari®) is an amino acid that is thought to be an antioxidant. It can possibly help to reduce damage caused to red blood cells (RBCs) in patients with sickle cell disease. It is usually used with other medicines to reduce the chance of having sickle cell related complications.
This medicine is available as a 5-gram powder packet.
Possible side effects of L-glutamine
- Hard stools (constipation)
- Flatulence (gas)
- Pain in abdomen
- Pain in legs, arms, back, chest
These are the most common side effects, but there may be more. Report all side effects to your medical team.
In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist at 901-595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833).
Special instructions for L-glutamine
- Store L-glutamine powder packets at room temperature, out of direct sunlight.
- L-glutamine should be given twice a day (around 12 hours apart) at the same times each day.
- This powder medicine must be mixed before taking it.
- Mix with 8 ounces (1 cup; 240 ml) of cold or room temperature beverage, such as water, juice, or milk, or
- Mix with 4–6 ounces of soft food, such as applesauce or yogurt.
- The powder does not need to be completely dissolved before taking it.
- If you miss a dose and remember within 4 hours of your usual dose time you may take the dose.
- If you miss a dose and remember more than 4 hours after your usual dose time, skip that dose and resume taking the medicine at your regular time the next day.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).