Linezolid (also called Zyvox®) is used to treat infections. It is available as a 600 mg tablet and as an orange-flavored liquid suspension. Both are taken by mouth. It is also available as a clear liquid given by vein (IV).
Possible side effects
- Nausea and vomiting
- Anemia, low white blood cell count, low platelet count
- Increase in blood pressure
- Changes in liver function
- Tingling or numbness in hands or feet
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to the doctor or nurse.
In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist at 901-595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 once the call is connected.
- Follow diet instructions closely. Avoid eating or drinking large amounts of foods containing tyramine. Certain foods and drinks taken with this medicine can cause very dangerous reactions such as sudden high blood pressure. These include:
- Aged cheeses
- Aged, smoked, pickled, or processed meats and fish
- Alcohol (beer, wine, liqueur)
- Fruits, including avocados, bananas, figs, raisins
- Soy sauce
- Miso soup
- Yeast/protein extracts
- Bean curd
- Fava or broad bean pods
- Over ripe fruit
- Caffeine (tea, coffee, chocolate, cola)
- Linezolid may interact with other medicines. These include:
- Amitriptyline (and other medicines known as tricyclic antidepressants)
- Medicines used to treat depression known as SSRIs.
- Always give a complete list of medicines you are taking to your doctor or pharmacist. Check with your doctor or pharmacist before starting any new vitamins, herbals, or other medicines.
- Linezolid tablets should be stored at room temperature. The oral suspension should be stored at room temperature and discarded after 21 days.
- Keep this and all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
1-866-278-5833 تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث بلغة أخرى، فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك بالمجان. يرجى الاتصال بالرقم
.(1-901-595-1040 :الهاتف النصي)