Lomustine (also known as CCNU, or CeeNu®) is an anticancer medicine. It is available as a white 10-mg capsule, a green and white 40-mg capsule and, a green 100-mg capsule. All are taken by mouth.
Possible side effects
- Loss of appetite
- Feeling confused
- Mouth sores
- Low blood counts, usually after 4 to 6 weeks
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to the doctor or nurse.
In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist at 595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 once the call is connected.
- Be aware that to provide the correct dose of this medicine, you might receive 2 or more different types or colors of capsules from the pharmacy. If you receive more than one type of capsule, you will need to take one of each to make up a single dose. Carefully read the label on each bottle. Please ask your pharmacist if you have questions about the dose.
- Lomustine can cause nausea and vomiting. The doctor may prescribe medicine to keep you from feeling sick and throwing up after you receive lomustine.
- It may be easier for you to get infections while you are taking lomustine. Stay away from crowds or people with colds, flu, or other infections.
- This medicine might make your mouth sore and irritated. The doctor or nurse may give you oral rinses to keep your mouth clean after you receive lomustine.
- The staff will take blood samples regularly to check for changes in kidney or liver function and to check blood counts.
- Store lomustine capsules at room temperature in a dry place.
- Take lomustine on an empty stomach. Do not eat or drink anything for 2 hours after taking lomustine.
All chemotherapy drugs taken by mouth can pose a health hazard to caregivers and patients. You should be careful when handling this medicine and try to keep the drug from touching the skin. Taking precautions will ensure that both the patient and the caregiver are protected as well as possible.
- Prepare a clean area where the drug can be handled safely (away from areas where food is prepared, out of the reach of children, and out from under any air vents or fans).
- We suggest you or the caregiver wear gloves while handling this medicine. Wash your hands right away if your skin comes in contact with the medicine.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
1-866-278-5833 تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث بلغة أخرى، فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك بالمجان. يرجى الاتصال بالرقم
.(1-901-595-1040 :الهاتف النصي)