Kaletra® is a capsule that contains 2 medicines used to treat infection caused by the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). The 2 medicines are called lopinavir and ritonavir. Both belong to a group called protease inhibitors (PIs). Protease is the part of the virus that allows it to multiply, leave the cell, and move into the blood and body. Kaletra® can slow down how soon you will see symptoms or slow the damage caused by HIV, but it cannot cure HIV infection. Kaletra® is available as a capsule that contains 133 mg of lopinavir and 33 mg of ritonavir. Kaletra® is also available as a liquid.
How to take Kaletra®
- This medicine is usually taken one (1) time in the morning and one (1) time at night.
- Take Kaletra® with food.
- You may mix Kaletra® liquid with juice, milk, or formula to help improve the medicine’s taste.
Possible side effects
- Stomach pain
- High blood cholesterol level
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to the doctor or nurse.
In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist at 595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 once the call is connected.
- Refrigerate Kaletra® capsules and liquid whenever possible. Kaletra® may be kept at room temperature and away from excessive heat for up to one (1) month.
- Blood tests can find some side effects, such as high levels of blood cholesterol. It is very important that you come to the clinic regularly for blood tests.
- Several medicines may affect the way Kaletra® works. These medicines include:
- St. John’s wort
- Kaletra® may affect the way other medicines work. These medicines include:
- Birth control pills
- Always tell the doctor if you are taking any of these medicines or if you start taking any new medicines while you are taking Kaletra®.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
1-866-278-5833 تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث بلغة أخرى، فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك بالمجان. يرجى الاتصال بالرقم
.(1-901-595-1040 :الهاتف النصي)