Lorazepam (also called Ativan®) is a medicine with several uses.
- Treat nausea and vomiting caused with cancer chemotherapy, radiation treatment, or surgery
- Decrease the anxiety related to receiving treatment for cancer
- Control seizures while they are occurring
Lorazepam is available as a 0.5-mg, 1-mg, or 2-mg tablet and a 2-mg/ml oral liquid. All are taken by mouth.
It is also available as a clear liquid given by vein (IV).
Possible side effects
- Feeling confused or having trouble concentrating
- Severe drowsy, weak, or dizzy feeling, or trouble standing
- Blurred vision or headache
- Dry mouth
- Diarrhea or constipation
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to the doctor or nurse.
In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist at 595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 once the call is connected.
- Your doctor will tell you how much lorazepam you should take and how often you should take it. Do not take a dose that is larger than the amount your doctor has prescribed. Do not take lorazepam more often than your doctor has instructed.
- Take lorazepam with or without food.
- Store the medicine at room temperature. Keep lorazepam away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep lorazepam out of the reach of children.
- Do not share lorazepam with anyone.
- If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- This medicine can increase the risk of falls.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).