What is lorlatinib?
Lorlatinib (also called Lobrena®) is an anticancer medicine. It is used to treat patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) that has failed other treatments. It may also be given for other reasons. Talk with your doctor. Loratinib is taken by mouth. It is available as a 25mg and 100mg tablet.
Possible side effects of loratinib
- Swelling in arms, legs, hands, and feet (edema)
- Numb and tingling feeling in joints or arms and legs
- Difficulty thinking or confusion
- Weight gain
- Pain in joints
- Changes in mood, feeling sad or anxious
- Increased cholesterol and triglycerides
If you have any of these side effects, tell the doctor right away:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Change in how much or how often you urinate; painful or difficult urination
- Chest pain, or fast, slow, or uneven heartbeat
- Confusion or seizures
- Dark urine or pale stools, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, and body aches
- Feeling lightheaded, dizzy, or fainting
- Numb, tingling, or burning pain in your hands, arms, legs, or feet
- Severe diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, or constipation
- Sudden or severe headache, or problems with vision, speech, or walking
- Swelling in your face, arms, legs, ankles, or feet; rapid weight gain
- Trouble breathing, shortness of breath, or a cough that is new or worse
- Unusual bleeding, bruising; feeling tired or weak
- Anxiety, nightmares, trouble sleeping, vision changes, or hallucinations (seeing things that are not there)
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to the doctor or nurse.
In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist at 901-595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833).
How to take lorlatinib
- Swallow tablet whole. Do not take lorlatinib tablets if they are broken, cracked, or not intact.
- Take lorlatinib at about the same time each day with or without food.
- Lorlatinib tablets should be stored at room temperature.
- Keep this and all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
Special instructions for lorlatinib
- You should not take this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to lorlatinib.
- Because lorlatinib may cause birth defects, do not take this medicine if you are pregnant. Both men and women who are taking lorlatinib should use effective birth control methods.
- It is not known if lorlatinib passes into breast milk. This medicine might cause serious harm to a nursing infant. Women who are taking lorlatinib should not breastfeed a baby.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Safe handling of lorlatinib
All chemotherapy drugs taken by mouth can pose a health hazard to caregivers and patients. You should be careful when handling this medicine and try to keep the drug from touching the skin. Taking precautions will ensure that both the patient and the caregiver are protected as well as possible.
- Prepare a clean area where the drug can be handled safely (away from areas where food is prepared, out of the reach of children, and out from under any air vents or fans).
- We suggest you or the caregiver wear gloves while handling this medicine. Wash your hands right away if your skin comes in contact with the medicine.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).