Meropenem (also called Merrem®) is a medicine used to treat infections. Meropenem is available as a clear to yellow liquid that is given into a vein (IV).
Possible side effects
- Low blood pressure
- Changes in kidney or liver function tests
- Swelling at the injection site
- Shortness of breath
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to the doctor or nurse.
In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse or pharmacist at 595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 once the call is connected.
- If you have decreased kidney function, tell your doctor before you receive meropenem.
- If you are an outpatient receiving meropenem through a portable pump:
- Finish all doses of meropenem as instructed by your doctor, even if you think your condition has improved
- Store meropenem in the refrigerator or on ice
- Place one (1) dose of meropenem at room temperature about one (1) hour before the dose is received.
- Meropenem in a portable pump is only good for 5 days; you will receive a new supply every 5 days.
- Meropenem may cause a false-positive urine test result when checking your urine for sugar (glucose) levels.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
1-866-278-5833 تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث بلغة أخرى، فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك بالمجان. يرجى الاتصال بالرقم
.(1-901-595-1040 :الهاتف النصي)