Posaconazole (also called Noxafil®) is used to prevent and treat fungal infections. It is available as a cherry-flavored liquid suspension and a 100 mg tablet to be taken by mouth. It is also a clear liquid to be given into a vein (IV) over a period of time.
Possible side effects
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stomach pain
- Changes in liver function
- Low potassium level; Signs include feeling tired and weak, numbness or tingling, muscle cramps, constipation, vomiting, or fast heartbeat
- Possible changes in heart rhythms (irregular heart beat)
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to the doctor or nurse right away.
In case of severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist at 901-595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 once the call is connected.
- Always take the oral suspension with a high fat meal. Tell your doctor if you are unable to eat full meals. The oral suspension is not effective without food. See “Do You Know… Posaconazole Suspension and a High Fat Diet” for examples of food choices.
- Shake the bottle of oral suspension before measuring dose.
- Posaconazole tablets can be taken without food. Swallow the tablets whole. Do not cut, crush, or chew tablets.
- Avoid grapefruit and grapefruit juice.
- Posaconazole and many other medicines can interact with each other, sometimes causing serious side effects. These include:
- Migraine medicines called ergot alkaloids
- Cholesterol lowering medicines called statins
- Blood pressure medicines called calcium channel blockers
- Cyclosporine, tacrolimus, sirolimus
- Always give a complete list of medicines you are taking to your doctor or pharmacist. Check with your doctor or pharmacist before starting any new vitamins, herbals or other medicines.
- Posaconazole suspension and tablets should be stored at room temperature.
- Keep this and all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).