What is regorafenib?
Regorafenib (also called Stivarga®) is an anticancer medicine. It is used to treat a variety of cancers. It may also be given for other reasons. Talk with your doctor. Regorafenib is taken by mouth. It is available as a 40mg tablet.
Possible side effects of regorafenib
- Weight loss
- Irritated mouth
- Change in voice
- Stomach pain
- Muscle spasms
- Hair loss
If you have any of these side effects, tell the doctor right away:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives/ swelling in your face or hands; swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat; chest tightness; trouble breathing
- Dark urine, fatigue, lack of appetite, nausea, stomach pain, light-colored stool, vomiting, or yellow skin
- Confusion, not alert, vision changes, seizures, or severe headache
- Vomiting blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds; coughing up blood; blood in the urine; black, red, or tarry stools; bleeding from the gums; abnormal vaginal bleeding; bruises without reason or that get bigger; or any severe or persistent bleeding.
- Muscle pain or weakness
- Abnormal or fast heartbeat’ severe dizziness or passing out; chest pain
- Trouble handling heat or cold; burning, feeling numb or tingling
- Palms or soles of feet red or irritated
- Stomach swelling
- Red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to the doctor or nurse.
In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist at 901-595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833).
How to take regorafenib
- Swallow tablet whole with water after a low-fat meal (containing fewer than 600 calories and less than 30% fat).
- Take regorafinib at the same time each day.
- Regorafenib tablets should be stored at room temperature.
- Keep this and all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
Special instructions for regorafenib
- You should not take this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to regorafenib.
- It is important to avoid grapefruit juice while taking regorafenib.
- Because regorafenib may cause birth defects, do not take this medicine if you are pregnant. Both men and women who are taking regorafenib should use effective birth control methods.
- It is not known if regorafenib passes into breast milk. This medicine might cause serious harm to a nursing infant. Women who are taking regorafenib should not breastfeed a baby.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Safe handling of regorafenib
All chemotherapy drugs taken by mouth can pose a health hazard to caregivers and patients. You should be careful when handling this medicine and try to keep the drug from touching the skin. Taking precautions will ensure that both the patient and the caregiver are protected as well as possible.
- Prepare a clean area where the drug can be handled safely (away from areas where food is prepared, out of the reach of children, and out from under any air vents or fans).
- We suggest you or the caregiver wear gloves while handling this medicine. Wash your hands right away if your skin comes in contact with the medicine.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).