Sugammadex (also called Bridion®) is a medicine used to reverse the effects of rocuronium and vecuronium. Rocuronium and vecuronium are neuromuscular blocking drugs that stop the muscles from working for a short period of time. These are often used to relax the skeletal muscles during surgery or other procedures that call for general anesthesia. They can also be used when a patient must have a tube put into the throat to help with breathing (intubation). Sugammadex reverses the effects of recuronium and vecuronium, allowing a patient to recover use of their muscles faster. It is a clear, colorless to slightly yellow-brown liquid given into the vein (IV) over a short period of time.
Possible side effect
- Nausea and vomiting
- Pain at injection site
- Low blood pressure
You will be watched closely for these possible effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, flushing, rash, swelling in your mouth or throat, fast heart rate, trouble breathing
These are the most common side effects, but you might have others. Please tell your doctor or nurse about all side effects.
In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist at 901-595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 once the call is connected.
- A doctor will supervise the giving of these medicines in procedure or surgery areas. You will be closely watched for side effects after the dose is given.
- Birth control pills and other hormone-based birth control may not work as well to prevent pregnancy after you get this medicine.
- Be sure you use some other kind of birth control, like a condom, for 7 days after you get this medicine.
- It is not known if sugammadex passes into breast milk. Talk to your doctor about risks to a breast-fed baby.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
1-866-278-5833 تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث بلغة أخرى، فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك بالمجان. يرجى الاتصال بالرقم
.(1-901-595-1040 :الهاتف النصي)