Call 911 if your child has a medical emergency and needs help right away.
Who to call?
Use the information below to help you quickly reach a member of your child’s medical team.
Your child’s primary clinic is: _________________________________________________
Your child’s doctor is: _______________________________________________________
Your child’s nurses are: ______________________________________________________
Your child’s nurse scheduler is: ________________________________________________
Your child’s clinic phone number is: ____________________________________________
Your child’s regular clinic days and operating hours are: ____________________________
For English speaking patient families:
The main hospital number is 901-595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833).
You may call your child’s clinic phone number during regular operating hours.
Call the main hospital telephone number anytime you cannot reach your child’s primary clinic. You may request help from the doctor on call or ask to speak to the nursing clinical coordinator.
For non-English speaking patient families:
From 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., if you would like to speak with your child’s clinic or any hospital staff, call Interpreter Services at 901-595-2983.
After regular clinic hours, on weekends, or anytime you cannot reach Interpreter Services: Dial toll-free 1-855-448-7406. By calling this number you will be connected with a medical interpreter.
After you are talking with a medical interpreter, you may ask to be connected with the hospital operator. You may also request help from the doctor on call or ask to speak to the nursing clinical coordinator.
For all patient families:
A staff member is always here to assist you with a problem, question, or urgent need.
You may be asked questions about these important facts:
- Your child’s diagnosis
- Your child’s hospital ID number
- The current problem and when it started
When to phone?
Call your child’s local doctor or the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital doctor or nurse practitioner if your child has one or more of these symptoms:
- Fever for patients older than 3 months:
- An oral (by mouth) temperature of 100.9 degrees F (38.3 degrees C) or higher;
- An oral temperature of 100.4 degrees F (38.0 degrees C) or higher that persists for one hour;
- An under-the-arm (axillary) temperature of 99.9 degrees F (37.7 degrees C); or
- An under-the-arm temperature of 99.4 degrees F (37.4 degrees C) or higher that persists for one hour.
- Fever for patients younger than 3 months is an under-the-arm (axillary) temperature of 99.4 degrees F (37.4 degrees C) or higher.
- Has been exposed to chickenpox, shingles, measles, rubella (German measles), or hepatitis
- Rash or itching
- Increase in bruising, pale skin, bleeding, or petechiae (pinpoint purple-red spots on the skin)
- Mouth sores
- Short of breath or trouble breathing
- Earache, sore throat, cold, or flu
- Nausea, vomiting, or weight loss
- Constant headache
- Hard to wake up
- Major change in condition
You should always call your child’s St. Jude doctor right away if you take your child to a local hospital or doctor for any unplanned or urgent medical treatment. If you are calling after regular hospital hours, dial 901-595-3300 and ask for the doctor on call. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833).
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).