Follow these important guidelines after your child’s subcutaneous port is removed:
- To help prevent infection, please keep the incision dry for 10 days.
- There will be a bandage covering the incision. Under the bandage will be yellow strips of tape called Steri-Strips™.
- Forty-eight (48) hours after the procedure, remove the bandage, but leave the Steri-Strips in place.
- Clean the Steri-Strips with a 1 ml Chloraprep® applicator or povidone-iodine twice a day for 7 days. Once you remove the Chloraprep from the package do not touch the sponge tip. Pinch the wings to release the solution. You should hear a pop. Press on skin three times, then clean the Steri-Strips using a circular pattern. The povidone-iodine comes in packages of three swabsticks and is used if your child has an allergy to the Chloraprep. Please use all three swabsticks during each cleaning.
- An Interventional Radiology staff member will order the Chloraprep or povidone-iodine for you, and you will pick it up from Take Home Supply on the Plaza level of the Patient Care Center.
- Ten days after the port is removed, your child may begin to shower, bathe, or swim.
- Leave the Steri-Strips on until they fall off. If they don’t fall off in 2 weeks by themselves, you should remove them.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
1-866-278-5833 تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث بلغة أخرى، فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك بالمجان. يرجى الاتصال بالرقم
.(1-901-595-1040 :الهاتف النصي)