St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital offers several Mothers’ Rooms around campus for patient families and staff. These rooms can be used to breastfeed your infant or to express and store your milk while you are at the hospital.
The Mothers’ Rooms can be used anytime, 24 hours a day. When using the room in the Danny Thomas Research Center (DTRC), you can check out the door key from the security guard in the DTRC lobby. Please return the key to the guard when you are finished. The security guard should always be at the desk. If the guard has stepped away for a moment, you can call extension 4444, and another guard will come to open the room or take the key you are returning.
Each Mothers’ Room includes a refrigerator to store breast milk. If milk is left in the refrigerator, it must be labeled with your name, the date, and the time of day. You will find labels and pens in one of the cabinets. The refrigerator in each Mothers’ Room is for short-term storage only. Please take your milk home with you each day when you leave St. Jude. The staff will check the refrigerator periodically. If the label on a bottle is more than a day old, the milk will be thrown away.
Guidelines for expressing breast milk:
- Wash your hands with soap and water. This will help protect your baby from infection.
- Use a clean container. This should be a bottle that comes sealed in a package. If you did not bring bottles from home, Nursing Services can give you a 2-ounce or 8-ounce collection containers for your expressed milk.
- On a label, write your name and the date and time (including a.m. or p.m.) that you expressed the milk. Attach the label to the milk container.
- Leave at least half an inch (1.5 cm) of space at the top of the container, so the milk has room to expand if it is frozen.
- Close the container, and place it inside a sealed plastic bag. You will find the bags in one of the cabinets.
- Label the outer bag with your name.
- Breast milk should be stored in the St. Jude refrigerator for no more than 24 hours. To store milk longer, you will need to transfer it to a freezer at your home or housing facility. If your baby is in the hospital, you can request a freezer for your room to store your excess milk.
St. Jude has lactation specialists on staff to answer breastfeeding questions and provide support. If you need to talk with a lactation specialist, you can call the Clinical Nutrition office at 595-3318. If you are calling from outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2ST-JUDE (1-866-278-5833), and extension 3318.
To learn more about good nutrition during pregnancy and breastfeeding, check with the lactation specialist. She can provide you with the most current recommendations for your nutrition while you are breastfeeding and answer any questions you may have about breastfeeding and lactation management.
St. Jude Mothers’ Rooms
- Third, fourth and fifth floors in the Kay Care Center Building*
- D 1001* - Danny Thomas Research Center (DTRC)
- C-2061* – Patient Care Center (second floor, close to St. Jude Auditorium)
- Room B-4041* – Patient Care Center (fourth floor)
- I 3302 – Chili’s Care Center
- M 1003A - 505 Building, where Human Resources is located
- N 1085A - 305 Building, behind the Tamer-Rashid Building
- O 1027B – Tamer-Rashid Building (across street; big pink building with arch doorway)
- S 1006A – Barry/Longinotti Building
- X1020 – 160 Building, located at 3rd Street and A.W. Willis
*Symphony double electric pump available
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
1-866-278-5833 تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث بلغة أخرى، فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك بالمجان. يرجى الاتصال بالرقم
.(1-901-595-1040 :الهاتف النصي)