Physical activity is good for your whole family.
Do any of these sound like something you would say?
- "I always feel so tired and worn out."
- "My whole family is putting on weight. I know we better do something soon."
- "Walking up 2 flights of stairs leaves me out of breath."
- "When my husband and I were first married, we would take long walks every day and go dancing. Now all we do it sit in front of the television."
- "I don't have an extra half hour every day to exercise, but I know it is good for my health."
Get active - feel better
Make physical activity your solution to feeling tired, bored, and out of shape. Find time. It is never too late to commit to having a healthy heart and healthy body. Add movement to your daily routine. Include your family.
- Children and adults should do 30 minutes or more of moderate physical activity each day.
Start by adding movement to your daily routine
- Get off the bus one (1) or 2 stops early and walk.
- Park your car farther away and walk.
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Dance to your favorite music.
Build up to 30 minutes of physical activity each day
- You do not have to do 30 minutes of activity without stopping. You can take a 10-minute walk during your lunch break. You can take another 10-minute walk with your family or friends after work. Then dance to the rhythm of your favorite music for 10 more minutes while dinner is cooking. Just so it adds up to 30 minutes each day.
- Turn exercise into a fun family activity. Jump rope, go skating, or walk with your family.
- Invite a friend to do aerobics with you.
- Start slowly and build up to a good pace. Before you know it, you will have the energy to do an activity for a full 30 minutes.
Add these benefits of physical activity to your life
- Strengthen your heart and lungs.
- Lose weight and control your appetite.
- Lower your blood pressure.
- Lower your blood cholesterol.
- Sleep better.
- Reduce your stress.
- Have more energy.
To learn more about getting active, call Clinical Nutrition at 595-3318 or Rehabilitation Services at 595-3621. If you are calling from outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2ST-JUDE (1-866-278-5833), extension 3318 or 3621.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).