When your child goes home from the hospital, you need to have certain supplies at home. You need these to take care of your child’s tracheostomy (trach). St. Jude gives you the supplies unless the list on this page says we do not.
Below is a list of trach supplies to keep at home. The numbers on the list match the items in the pictures.
- Portable suction machine – A medical supply company will bring this to your house
- Ambu bag with trach adapter and face mask
- Sterile suction catheters, the right size for your child’s trach Size _____________
- Sterile gloves in all sizes
- Non-sterile gloves in all sizes
- Sterile trach tube, the same size your child wears Size _____________
- Sterile trach tube, half (1/2) size smaller than your child wears Size _____________
- Trach ties
- Cotton-tipped swabs (not shown)
You also need the items listed below. Number 13 and numbers 20 to 24 are not in the picture, but you still need them.
10. 2x2 sterile gauze
11. 2x2 split sterile gauze
12. Sterile water and sterile saline packets (4 oz. cup)
13. Sterile water and tubing for a 450-ml oxygen bottle (not shown). If your child needs humidified air, a medical supply company will bring these items to your house.
14. Passy-Muir valve, if your child uses one
15. Trach humidity system, trach collar, heat moisture exchanger, or all these
16. Obturator – A small device you use to put in a new trach tube
17. Trach tube cleaning kit – For Bivona® trachs only
18. Hydrogen peroxide – Only if needed
19. Medicine cups
20. Scissors (not shown)
21. Sterile saline wipes (not shown)
22. 10 ml slip tip syringes (not shown) – If your child has a water-cuffed trach
23. Cuff inflation syringe (not shown) – If your child has an air-cuffed trach
24. White vinegar for cleaning the suction machine tubing and canister (not shown) – St. Jude does not give this to you.
The medical supply company will deliver the suction machine and show you how to use it before your child goes home from the hospital. After you are home, call the company right away if the machine is not working properly. This will help you avoid breathing problems for your child.
About my medical supply company
My medical supply company is _____________________________________________________
Telephone number ______________________________ Contact name ________________________
After hours or emergency number: _______________________________
If you have questions or concerns about home trach supplies, talk to your child’s clinical nurse specialist. A nursing coordinator is always here to answer your questions and address your concerns. Call 901-595-3300 and ask for the nursing coordinator. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 when the call connects.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).