Apply to become a volunteer
The main purpose of the Family-Centered Care Volunteer Program (FCCVP) is for St. Jude patients, family, and friends to provide staff with invaluable insight into the needs of our patients and families.
St. Jude welcomes volunteer applications from current and former St. Jude patients (18 years of age and older, please), as well as family members and friends of current and former patients. We prefer that applicants have experience as a patient or in the direct care of a current or former St. Jude patient or family. St. Jude staff, patients, families, and friends can also recommend patients and families to serve as FCCVP volunteers.
Staff and physicians will be asked to recommend patients and families whom they believe may be effective family centered-care volunteers. Patients (over 18) and family members may self-refer by completing an application.
A selection committee that includes Family Advisory Council members and St. Jude staff reviews volunteer applications. The Family Advisory Council’s parent chairperson will notify all applicants of the results.
Qualities volunteers should possess
- Positive about St. Jude and enthusiastic about its mission of excellence in patient care, education, research and family centered care initiatives
- Experience with receiving care at St. Jude or having a child receiving care at St. Jude
- Ability to share their experiences and insight in a balanced and objective way
- Ability to listen to and reflect on differing points of view
- Ability to work together with others
- Respect for diversity
- Able to keep information private (confidentiality)
- Able to fulfill time commitment
Volunteers receive an orientation, including the St. Jude mission and values and the principles of patient family-centered care. Education and training related to specific roles a volunteer may assume are ongoing for St. Jude staff and family-centered care volunteers.
For more information, please contact the Family Centered-Care Coordinator, Alicia Huettel at 901-595-5453.
If you are interested in applying to become a Patient Family Centered-Care Volunteer, please complete the application or pick up a copy in the Linda R. Hajar Family Resource Center. Return the completed application to the address listed on the form. Once your application is received, a family centered-care representative will contact you.