Keeping up to Speed on Day-to-Day Work
If you struggle to …
… keep up with a fast rate of information:
- Relax. Take a few deep breaths before you start a task.
- Get rid of things that get your thoughts off track. For example, clean your desk of the materials you used for one task before you start something else.
- Break the task down into smaller tasks that you can complete in shorter amounts of time.
- Focus on one piece of information at a time.
… complete more complex tasks on time:
- Begin the task long before the deadline.
- Allow extra time to complete tasks.
- Allow extra time to decide things.
- Break large tasks into smaller tasks or steps. Think about and complete one part at a time.
- Keep track of how much time you spend on homework. Make more time for your work if you need to.
- Repeat directions or information back to the person speaking to you.
- Repeat information to yourself.
- Use written lists of materials and directions.
- Question any directions, explanations and instructions you do not understand. Ask for clarification.
- Take notes in an outline form. Highlight important facts.
- Tape-record directions or information for review at a later time.
Read more tips