If your child does not wear diapers
Materials needed: Keto-Diastix strip, a watch with a second hand, and a urine cup.
- Wash hands with soap and dry well, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Collect a fresh urine sample in a clean, dry cup. Open the Keto-Diastix bottle and remove one (1) test strip. Replace the bottle cap tightly.
- Do not touch the test areas of the strip. (The first time the bottle is opened, record the date it was opened. The test strips should not be used after 6 months from that date.)
- Dip the test areas of the strip in the urine. Allow excess urine to drip off test strip. Then begin timing. To read the ketone and glucose results, observe the change in color of the Keto-Diastix. Compare it to the results chart on the bottle. Read the ketone results at 15 seconds. Read the glucose results at 30 seconds.
If your child wears diapers
Materials needed: Keto-Diastix strip, a watch with a second hand, 4–2”x2” gauze pads supplied by St. Jude, scissors, and non-sterile gloves.
- Wash hands with soap and dry well, or use an alcohol-based hand-sanitizer.
- Do not use creams, powders, diaper wipes or ointments of any kind during urine collection. The use of such items will interfere with urine measurements.
- Place 4–2”x2” gauze pads (supplied by St. Jude) in diaper.
- When the gauze in the diaper has collected urine, put on the gloves, and remove the wet gauze.
- Place the Keto-Diastix against the wet gauze. Then begin timing. Do not squeeze urine from the gauze onto the Keto-Diastix.
- To read the ketone and glucose results, observe the change in color of the Keto-Diastix, and compare it to the results chart on the bottle. Read the ketone results at 15 seconds. Read the glucose results at 30 seconds.
Tip to remember
Do not leave gauze in your child’s diaper overnight. The gauze may irritate your child’s skin. Also, the test results may not be accurate if the urine sample is too old. Placing the gauze in your child’s diaper and checking it with normal diaper changes should give accurate urine glucose and ketone readings.
When to check your child's urine for glucose or ketones
Your child’s doctor or nurse will tell you how many times a day to check the urine.
How to read the test results
Look at the Glucose Color Chart and the Ketone Color Chart on the bottle.
The Glucose Chart is the top chart. It will be similar to this example:
Use the top marker on the strip to compare the results of glucose to the boxes found on the Keto-Diastix bottle. Read this result at exactly 30 seconds.
The Ketone Chart is the bottom chart. It will be similar to this example:
Use the bottom marker on the strip to compare the results of ketones to the chart on the Keto-Diastix bottle. Read this result at exactly 15 seconds.
What to do with the results
|Glucose results||Ketone results||What to do|
|1/10% to 1%||Negative||Record the result on a notepad and tell your clinical pharmacist, nurse, or doctor at the next clinic visit.|
|Greater than 1%||Positive||
Call the hospital right away, and ask to speak with the nurse, nurse practitioner, or clinical pharmacist in your child’s primary clinic.
If it is after hours or the weekend, call the hospital operator at 901-595-3300 and ask for the doctor or clinical pharmacist on-call.
If you record a positive ketone result, you should always call the hospital right away, and speak to a clinical staff member. Locally, dial 595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, call toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 once the call is connected.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).