Tying your shoes with one (1) hand may be hard at first, but using the steps below will help you relearn this daily task.
1. Hold one shoelace down with your foot, and pull the other lace tight. Make sure the laces cross over when you do this.
2. Make a loop while still holding the lace under the other shoe.
3. Bring the loop behind and under the straight lace.
4. While holding the loop in place between your thumb and index finger, let the straight lace out from under the other shoe.
5. Use your other fingers to wrap the free lace completely around the loop.
6. Use your thumb to push the middle of the lace through this newly formed loop.
7. Holding one loop in place with your free foot, pull the other loop tight. That's it!
To learn more about tying your shoes with one hand, call Rehabilitation Services at 595-3621. If you are inside the hospital, dial 3621. If you are outside the Memphis area, call toll-free 1-866-2ST JUDE (1-866-278-5833), extension 3621.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).