“Sterile” means free of germs. It is important to use sterile gloves when you do certain things to take care of your child.
Steps to put on sterile gloves
Place the package of sterile gloves in a clean work area.
- Remove the outer packaging of the sterile gloves. Open the inner packaging as directed. Do not touch anything inside of the package. Step 1 in the picture shows how the gloves look in the package.
- Wash your hands with soapand water. Dry them well. See “Do you know… Clean hands.”
- Using your non-dominant hand (the one you do not write with), pick up the glove for your other hand by the cuff. Step 2 in the picture shows how this looks.This glov is for your dominant hand (the one you write with). Be careful to touch just the inside of the cuff and glove.This part will touch your skin when the glove is on your hand.
- Let the glove hang with the fingers pointing downward. Then slide your dominant hand into the glove with your palm facing up and your fingers open. Step 3 in the picture shows how this looks. Be careful not to touch the package as you put on the gloves.
- If the glove does not go on straight, wait to adjust it until you put on the other glove. Keep your hands above your waist to make sure they stay sterile.
- Use the hand with the glove to slide your fingers under the cuff of the second glove. Step 4 in the picture shows how this looks. Only touch the outside of this glove. This part will not be against your skin when the glove is on your hand.
- Let the glove hang with the fingers pointing downward. Slide your hand into the glove with the palm up and the fingers open. Step 5 in the picture shows how this looks.
- Adjust both gloves until they fit properly. Only touch sterile gloved areas.
If you have questions about putting on sterile gloves, talk to your child’s nurse or clinical nurse specialist. A nursing coordinator is always here to answer your questions and address your concerns. Call 901-595-3300 and ask for the nursing coordinator. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 when the call connects.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
1-866-278-5833 تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث بلغة أخرى، فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك بالمجان. يرجى الاتصال بالرقم
.(1-901-595-1040 :الهاتف النصي)