National Video Game Day!
It's not a real holiday. But, we celebrate it because of gaming's part in the fight against childhood cancer.
When is National Video Game Day?
It's celebrated on July 8. Gamers post about it on social media and host events around the country to observe the holiday.
Why we game
"... anything that helps families dealing with cancer is a cause close to my heart. And I just feel like having so many people look up to me, trust me, follow what I'm doing, I should use that platform for a good cause."
—Kayla @lilsimsie, PLAY LIVE gamer
St. Jude PLAY LIVE is a global fundraising campaign in which broadcasters play their favorite games on streaming platforms, and viewers can donate to St. Jude in real time. It's raised $40 million in its short history.
Therapy through gaming
Gaming offers St. Jude patients relief and opportunities to connect while they're getting treated at the hospital.
Zac was diagnosed with Burkitt lymphoma when he was six years old. His Nintendo DS was a go-to between rounds of chemotherapy, surgeries and two amputations while at St. Jude.
Video games help create community for St. Jude patients
"I used to bond over those times with my friends. One donation in particular that came was The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Every day I was coming down to the common area to play that game."
—Former patient and current St. Jude employee, Miguel
Families never receive a bill from St. Jude for treatment, travel, housing or food. We also freely share our research and discoveries, helping save thousands more children around the world.
- Buy a new game. Look at what's recently come out on your favorite console, and support a brand you love.
- Start a gaming marathon with friends. Make gaming your only priority.
- Go to a local arcade. See if any near you have opened, and go commemorate the day in person.
- Donate to a gamer's charity stream. Many gamers use their talent to benefit charities, and you can simply donate to their fundraiser.
- Start a charity stream. You can stream for a charity. Benefit the kids of St. Jude by participating in St. Jude PLAY LIVE.
- Go LARPing — create a world of your own by live action role-playing.